[Crossfire-wiki] [Crossfire DokuWiki] page added: dev_todo:fancy_generators

no-reply_wiki at metalforge.org no-reply_wiki at metalforge.org
Thu Feb 8 14:11:06 CST 2007

A page in your DokuWiki was added or changed. Here are the details:

Date        : 2007/02/08 14:11
User        : mhoram
Edit Summary: created

===== Fancy Generators =====

This idea grew out of a [[http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1560411&group_id=13833&atid=363833|feature request on Sourceforge]] by mwedel, which was commented on by kshinji, and then fleshed out considerably on #crossfire.  I'm going to try to implement it soon, so I thought I'd write up a specification here to start from.

==== Initial Thoughts ====

A spawner (what we were calling this before we decided to just expand the generator to cover these functions) will create items -- usually monsters, but not necessarily -- at a set rate within a set radius, possibly with some randomness built in.

The objects to be created may be taken from a treasurelist or from inventory, or maybe both methods should be possible.  A treasurelist allows different objects to have different odds of creation, but an inventory list could do that too, while also allowing the spawner to "run out" of objects to create.

Spawners are indestructible and invisible, unlike generators.

Spawners will only create so many monsters at once.  Monsters should be tracked wherever they go, so a player can't use ''charm monster'' near a spawner to build a huge army.

> Is this really a problem, though?  Players can already do this with ''summon pet monster'' and ''summon cult monsters'', and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

>> Also, if a spawner creates objects which are not destroyed, like weapons players want to keep and use, that could get tricky.  Maybe the spawner should lose track of objects when they pass outside its radius?

==== Ideas ====

Please add new ideas here.

==== Implementation ====

So far, I've added the ability for generators to create monsters within a radius, which is set with the ''generator_radius'' field in the object.  This defaults to 1 if not set.  Patch for this is at [[http://baugher.pikenet.net/cf/generator_radius.patch]].

IP-Address  : 206.71.197.56
Old Revision: none
New Revision: http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev_todo:fancy_generators

--