[CF-Devel] about the png-images

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Aug 26 10:18:56 CDT 2000

Hi,

Thanx for help, I finally got my client working with
pngs - from the current snapshot (26.Aug).

First of all, an important remark concerning the
installation process:
I tried to compile the client with my current libpng
library version 1.0.2 - that did not work.
Some errormessages about unknown (missing) commands in
/usr/lib/X11R6/lib/libpng.so were displayed. So I
downloaded the actual version 1.0.6 from the web,
installed, and everything was okay.
I think that should be mentioned in the README of
the cfclient.

About the png-images...

They are indeed a LOT better than the current 24x24
xpms! But that applies for the new re-drawn images
only. About 50% of the images are just scaled up from
the 24x24 format and thus very ugly. Even half of
the player-icons and most artifacts are of that kind.

I think all the item-images (like artifacts) that
haven't been re-drawn should just be copied (and
centered) from xpm to png without scaling. All the rest,
like buildings, monsters etc still require some serious
amount of work.

Isn't there any bored graphics artist out there,
just waiting to draw some crossfire pngs? :)
What about the creator of the existing ones? Is there
a chance to convince him to continue his work?
If I could draw any better than a pig, I would start
doing it myself... :-]

Another problem: Some pngs seem to be partly transparent
although they shouldn't be. E.g. the "blocked.111" icon is
completely transparent, "cave23-25.111", "afloor.131",
"grass.111", "mountain1.111" and "wasteland.111" are partly
transparent.
Any idea why this happens?

Andreas Vogl

--