[CF List] Small public server

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Mon Aug 7 00:09:24 CDT 2000

"Jesse F. Hughes" wrote:

      Hey ho.

      I have a Celeron dual processor machine with 128 meg memory and an

      ADSL modem (640/90 -- the upload is unimpressive).  Is it reasonable

      to set this up as an (undedicated) public server?  I thought that I'd

      just leave the server running in the background while I go about my

      business.

      Am I dreaming?  How many players typically play at once?

 This is not a simple question.

 First off, most of the bandwidth in terms of crossfire is going from the server
to the client.

 I can't comment on how many people typically play on the public servers -
perhaps someone running one can better comment.

 However, one thing to consider is how important that limited upload bandwidth
is to you.  Anyone who plays on your server and has a download link to
themselves faster than that could assume all your upload bandwidth.  This may
not be a big deal if your not using your system at that time, but such bandwidth
usage will have performance effects on your using that bandwdith, even stuff
that is 90% in your direction (like web browsing).

 From what I recall, a player does not use much bandwidth when playing except
when they are downloading new images.  So hypothetically a few people may be
able to use that 90 kbs upload to effectively play the game.