[CF-Devel] throw cmd, ready a range attack, bow and rod

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Dec 5 23:06:25 CST 2000

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      The bad point of the throw cmd is, that we don't have any real control of

      what we can throw.

      Also, you must first send a throw command out, and then you throw items

      instead of firing...

 err, you can give an item name when you give the throw command.

 I haven't played around with it much.  I believe when you run out of whatever
item you specified, it goes on to an effectively random object again.

 Problem, for the most part, throw is even more useless than bows, as its
slower, and tends to lack range and damage.

 The only real use I could see for throw is that you could throw various
interesting items (like things that explode on impact or have other strange
effects.  But then this basically mimics currently existing objects/spells (not
that its a bad thing, but finding those would tend to be even more unlikely than
say wands, and probably cost more too boot).

 The only way this might even be vaguely interesting if you could make those
mixtures via alchemy.  then presumably you could make enough of them easy enough
that it may actually be useful.  but if you had to find such things, there isn't
much use.

 Now of couse, in real life there was use of missile weapons like throwing
daggers.  But some of that is the relative quickness one can draw and throw
daggers, neither of which is enforced in crossfire (you can switch objects
pretty much as fast as you can click them, and we don't enforce any minimum
ranges of bows).  That makes it so missile weapons much less useful.

 The simple fact of the matter is that many things that may have been useful in
earth's history do not make sense in the crossfire universe do to how things
work there.