[CF-Devel] Re: Sorry

Jan Echternach echter at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Fri Dec 8 05:03:31 CST 2000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 01:00:56AM -0800, Peter Mardahl wrote:

      I would not REDUCE the benefit of boots and gloves:

      I would just withdraw the ability to use "enchant armour" on them.

"Enchant armour" has effects other than improving AC, e.g. protecting
the item from cancellation.  With partial resistances, enchanted items
could also give better protections.  There are many possibilities.
Therefore I wouldn't dissallow "enchant armour" completely, but only
reduce the AC effects on items that shouldn't give high AC bonus.

      But we should think of some issues before doing reductions:

      are we seriously screwing fighter chars by doing these reductions?

      Remember, these characters are going up against high-level demons,

      undead, and things like Jessies.

Fighters do have a disadvantage in that they need to get in touch with
the enemy.  I think monsters with wc -20 or better are supposed to hit
every player no matter how good the player's AC is.

      I don't have strong objections to stat caps either, but I would like

      to see them go, because I think it would force players to make choices

      and specialize.  Now, we'd leave caps on "natural" stats as they are,

      but enhancements could go as high as someone could pile on items to do.

      There'd be no more "well, my POW is 30, now I'll work on my Str."

I think there must be a limit somewhere (well, there is always a limit
unless players' strength is exceeding every limit).  If players are
reaching that limit too fast you don't need to increase the limit.  You
can also make it more difficult to reach the limit.

IMHO monster's level should be removed from the formula for calculating
experience gains.  Right now it's difficult to see how much experience
a monster actually gives.  A few high level monsters make it very easy
for players to get to high levels, even though they have the same "exp"
value as other low level monsters that are not so much easier to kill.
This would make the level limit difficult to reach.

--
Jan