[CF-Devel] Race info/crossedit/compiling

David Hurst dhurst at it.swin.edu.au
Sun Dec 17 20:48:37 CST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Toennies [mailto:

     michael.toennies at nord-com.net

     ]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 11:29 AM
To: David Hurst
Subject: RE: [CF-Devel] Race info/crossedit/compiling

      I just remembner something REALLY important. Rick Tanner if you read this

      could you please put a notice on the download page of crossfire. ALL linux

      users must have GTK-dev installed as well as xpmlib!!!. Several

      people also

      have told me they could not install crossfire and I would bet the bottom

      dollar it is because they didn't have one, or either of these. For debian

      users it is just a simple matter of running apt-get install

      gtk-dev etc. but

      I don't know how you would do it for redhat etc. I think this is a very

      important issue as it got me =) and it has got me in the past =). A simple

      notice about the requirements would really help with alot of the compiling

      etc. (especially running the configure script!). Thanks.

--> Hm, what about the idea to make the first links of the clients to
binaries?

alike this:

welcome to crossfire blabla online rpg... blabla ...
to play you need a client.
We have binaries for these systems:
bin1 bin2 bin3

Or you can get the sources and compile for yourself:
source1 source2

Also you can get the source of the server.
source <--

Yup that sounds good, but this doesn't address the issue of requirements. I
think we also need to add a line in saying the major requirements for a) the
client, b) the server and c) crossedit

     These will avoid some problems for the dummies.

     I don't think dummies is a fair thing to say. Just less experienced users. I
certainly had troubles I hope i'm not too much of a dummy =).

dnh