[CF-Devel] Webboard.]

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Tue Dec 19 10:42:24 CST 2000

Hi

Yes, and i think we should do, what we yet do, but more systematic.

Real-time.com is our CF main site - for the game.
And it is pretty large with this.

SouceForge should be for the dev team, and the dev stuff.

We should not mix both, thats confuse most times.
As developer you got an different look to CF as players.

Also, with more players and more dev people, both parts will grow,
and real-time, again, is big and will grow up. With all the changes
to gameplay the tanners have quite a lot to do there (always thanks for
it!).

So, sourceforge as dev site is a good choice for me.

MichToen

      On Tue, Dec 19, 2000, David Hurst / Darth_bob / DNH / Carrot wrote:

      > For the webboard, I will contact MiDS (Joris) and see if it is

      possible to

      > start a general webboard. Hopefully a really simple interface

      where posters

      > don't even need to register names (unless it gets massive ;). I

      am prepared

      > to maintain and reply when I am around (which is alot but only

      after 1800 my

      > time). Perhaps Rick could add better links to this board so

      that it can be

      > readily accessed? A webboard is alot of work, and must be maintained

      > regularly.. but if we could get it working we could get alot

      more feedback

      > and be able to pass on important new changes faster. Thoughts?

      I don't want to setup a webboard on my server, my connection is

      temporary. In 6

      years it will be definitly gone, if I die or get kicked out of

      the university,

      even earlier :) But I have a much, much, much better idea.

      Use SourceForge!!!

      It has a public forum, bug tracking system, tech support manager,

      doc manager,

      patch manager, task manager, surveys, CVS repository with

      webbrowser interface,

      anonymous FTP space,etc [insert standard SourceForge advocacy

      here]. Let others

      (sourceforge staff) do the technical maintainance, they are

      fulltime skilled

      people.

      Their mailinglist facilities look very good. We have a few

      mailinglists now,

      but when I read things about a 6 day index building time (maybe I

      don't get it),

      I get the idea that things are wrong.

      Almost everything is there, only have to use it :)

      MiDs / Joris

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com