[CF List] PNG Images

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Thu Jun 29 22:57:09 CDT 2000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      One thing I could never figure out was how to use the 32x32 xpms?

 I'm not sure what you mean by this.

 32x32 xpm's are not distributed/supported anywhere in crossfire.  The png's are
32x32 because when David converted them, he decided to make them a bit bigger
(with agreement from the list also)

 Now in theory, you could take the png's and convert them to a like sized xpm
image - I don't really see the point - once png support gets a little better, I
would actually see dropping the xpm images as pretty likely (not very bandwidth
friendly and don't gain us anything of png).

 Actually one thing they gain is a smaller colorspace.  With agreement with me,
David also used more than the standard 20 or so colors we use for Xpm's - I
think he went up to about 100 or so - enough so an 8 bit display could still
show all of them, but also enough to improve quality.