[CF-Devel] CF DX Snapshot

Michael Toennies mtx93 at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Wed Nov 1 00:47:15 CST 2000

      -----Original Message-----

      master at scruz.net

       [mailto:

      master at scruz.net

      ]On Behalf Of Mark Wedel

      Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 3:56 AM

      To: Michael Toennies

      Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] CF DX Snapshot

      > i will use direct input as keyboard interface, this will give a nice

      > access to the keyboard.

       the problem for the unix client isn't as much the direct

      keyboard access, but

      rather that the keysym/keycode for say the 6 on the numeric

      keypad can differ.

      so for usability, all those possible combinations need to get put

      into a default

      file.  Since you only really have to aim for the pc which all

      have standard

      keyboard definitions, life is much easier.

Ah, yes i see. Thats the nice part of apis like dinput, they do all
the stuff for you, and is there one exotic, it connect through his driver
to directx, so the coder don't worry about it and has no changes.

      > Eh, no you misunderstod me. I use of course the tiles from the server,

      > getting the pngs.

      > The background pngs are the one of the dx client. Remember that he is a

      > "real"

      > dx game, means there are no windows style elements drawn by windows.

      > So, i must draw every slider or box by myself.

       Ah - ok.  I understand now.

      > >  I think his point is a ring of strength +2 has the same face as

      > > a ring pro

      > > fire/vuln cold, as well as most any other ring, and you probably

      > > want a quick

      > > way to know what ring is what.

      > Well, i show the face/animation of the items and the name of

      the selected

      > item

      > below. So you can quick search the inventory. Also i will

      include the mouse

      > fast klick on the item and show what is exactly is.

      > There is no other possible way, because showing all names of

      all items at

      > the same

      > time will not work. Also, to much text is not usefull. The only

      way is, to

      > difference

      > the items more by faces, like most potions in the xpms.

       Yeah - I've played many games like that.  Probably a lot of it

      is just what

      people are used to for the other clients - they are used to

      seeing the names and

      so on.  the nice thing about showing items like you do is that

      potentially more

      are available at the same time.

       I wonder if it may be worth having something like virtual

      backpacks and people

      can determine what backpack(s) items are displayed in.  So for

      example, you may

      have your 'cold' backup where you put all items that relate to

      monsters that use

      cold, so you don't need to worry as much about what the item

      actually looks

      like, you just quickly switch to your cold backup and equip stuff

      as fast as

      possible.

By the many of damage types and protection types we have in cf, you will run
in the
same trap... having 10 containers of items, you all must check and
control...

I think about 2-4 "hot keys". You wear an wield a set of your items and
press the 1. The program
safe which items you wear.  Then you wear a cold protection set and mark
them as 2.
Now you must simply press 2 and you auto unwear set number 1 and ready set
2.

MichToen