[CF-Devel] weak wall images.

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Nov 3 11:17:04 CST 2000

Mark Wedel wrote:

       1) When the wall is yet to be damaged, it uses the same image (name &

     number)

      of an undamaged normal wall, so is completely indistinguishable from the

     normal

      walls.  For this to properly work, other clues about the existance of such

     weak

      walls is needed (For example, magic mouths which say 'you feel a draft' or

     'Some

      of the walls around here appear pretty weak'.  Also, clues on npc's or

     scrolls

      would work.

       2) If the walls are supposed to be noticable from only visible

     inspection, then

      this should be something more obvious than just a couple pixels being out

     of

      place - for example, there should be cracks in the wall or other more

     apparant

      damage that the wall could be destroyed than needing to pay really close

      attention to walls and making sure there is not any changes.  Otherwise,

     you

      will probably get a greater proliferation of clients that use their own

     images

      for weak walls simply so the player can notice them.

      Thoughts/preferances?

I recommend using version 2). The weak walls should be slightly more
noticeable.
If a mapmaker feels like creating an indistinguishable weak wall he can
still do
it by using the standart wall pic instead of the default weak wall pic.
(Many maps already use "illusionary walls" that look exactly like normal
walls
but are passable.)

In general I dislike maps that consist of "searching for the weak
wall"-puzzles.
I believe that we´d do the players a great favour by modifying the default
weak
wall pics.

Andreas V.