[CF-Devel] map bug

the seer seer11 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 17:30:33 CST 2000

MWedel wrote:

     Why bother with a stacking value?  If you just tell the server or >>client

     to  use a 4 layered system, all of the images that need to be >>placed on

     the  screen can easily be handled.  Treat the floors as >>the bottom layer

     (0), building components next (1), then items (2), >>and finaly animated

     creatures (3), you should be able to solve the >>problem without any

     significant increase in processing.

       That basically means you have 4 hard coded layers, which may not be >just

     fine. But also see the previous mail about xbm and performance - >the more

     layers, the more bandwidth needed.

       Also, you still get the case that suppose and item is inserted into >that

     space or a monster moves off.  Once again, you need to >recalculate all the

     layers on that space

       Also, at current time, the definition of building components is >vague.

     For example, a dragon transport is not really considered a >building

     component, which is why you get the effect described above.

       This could probably get fixed up by adding a 'layer xxx' value to >all

     objects. But you still get into cases like:

       A fireball explodes in a room with monsters and treasures.  The >fire is

     on top, so that will be seen and considered an animiated >creature, so you

     then see the treasure, building components, and >floors.  I would argue

     that in this case, you really want to see what >monsters are still standing

     and not what objects are there.

       So what you really want is something like:

       Draw top X images (which would be spell effects, monsters, items, >...)

       Draw bottom X images (floors and buildings).

       I think there is some problem with the dragon transport in that >that

     image is used as both a monster and a building type object.  So >it is

     difficult to handle that dual identity unless you create >another image

     class, or move visibility and stacking of objects away >from the images and

     back into the object.

Actually I was suggesting that we just have the client treat certain
archetypes as if they are on layers.  Then rather than having to calculate
every single image on the stack, you just use the map images for the bottom
images, as suggested by the architecture ( i thought that was what the
archetypes were for), and then code other objects on top as needed.  The
code is all client side, so no more bandwith is needed.  The images can tell
it all it needs to know.  If this won't work, then I guess I just don't know
enough about the project.

-The Seer