[CF-Devel] client cpl.ob.face at the start

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Fri Nov 3 22:26:43 CST 2000

 The X11 client doesn't actually draw an image of the player anyplace other than
the game map, so I think that was an addition in the windows client.

 However, as I move around in the game map, the figure does change his facing to
be north, east, west, etc.

 Now best of what I recall, the server does not explicitly tell the client what
facing the character has - the space in the center of the map that the character
is drawn on is drawn just like all the other spaces.

 One way you could try and get this information is always take the center image
of the map (check the image number), and use that for your icon near the stats I
guess.  Do some checking like it is within 10 of the the first one you got so
that you don't draw a fireball instead of the player image (this logic is still
not perfect, because for example I would guess that the fireborn might be close
enough to fireball to get within that 10 bracket).

 If you are using image caching, you can be a bit more sure by checking that the
basename (ie, everything before the 111 or 151 or other suffix) is the same.

 The protocol could also be extended to include this information - would
probably make the most sense to put it in the 'stats' command, as that is
already smart enough to only be sent if information is changed.  I'm not sure
how important a feature this however.