[CF-Devel] TODO List - Flamebait

John Cater John.Cater at eng.monash.edu.au
Wed Nov 8 15:45:07 CST 2000

Fellow Developers,

I am a little concerned about the way we use our cvs tree etc at the
moment. It seems as if the two main activities are taking place on the
one branch. Or perhaps I don't understand how things are supposed to
work.

Firstly, the repository is being used to fix bugs in the last release -
fine and good. But it is also being used to "test" new features (an
example is the race/class split). Is this the best way?
Is there a way of just getting a patch that handles the bugs in 0.95.7
without the new features?

As for new features etc, I was looking throught the TODO file. I think
that it contains some very attractive ideas for future
directions/features in crossfire. However, I think some of them have
already been dealt with, such as the skills update etc, I'd love to
update the file, but I'm just not sure what's what.

Also, the TODO file contains some of the collected "past wisdom" for
things like player starting location / ressurection location that has
been discussed extensively before on the list or how objects were going
to be "redone"

Now I'm a bug fixing kind of guy myself and I'd love to hunt some down
in a relatively static tree. I think also think it would be good if
someone like Jan went through the TODO list and made some kind of
priority ranking of the new features for the next major version.

Actually what I would like is a "feature freeze" of the current CVS,
leaving it only open to bug fixes with the focus on a "stable" 0.96
Could we have another branch for 0.97 to which new features (from the
TODO list) can be added?

Johnc