[CF-Devel] DONE, CHANGES

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Thu Nov 9 00:47:02 CST 2000

John Cater wrote:

      Okay, so I've been browsing the text files that we include in the top

      level of the source distribution.

      The file "DONE" seems pretty useless at the moment, it talks about stuff

      that happened long ago, meanwhile the file changes is growing every day.

      I suggest that we remove the existing contents of DONE and instead fill

      it with the contents of CHANGES that refer to previous released

      versions. I am happy to do this if anyone agrees...

 I'm not convince we need both CHANGES and DONE.

 Taking a quick glance at DONE, it appears it basically contains the log entries
as checkins were done.  Generally, I put whatever I used as the CVS log entry
into CHANGES.

 We've never really decided what should really be in the LOG and CHANGES file.
But generally, I've been satisfied with the details provided in the log entries.

 The one thing I could see would be that the CHANGES may actually go into higher
detail than people may really care.  So perhaps removal of a DONE file and
instead the addition of a SUMMARY file or the like that contains even briefer
descriptions, and include stuff more than players care about than users.  For
example, many things in the CHANGES file should be there, but in reality, don't
effect how the game plays (some things are compiler warnings, some things may
assist in debugging, etc)