[CF-Devel] Strange problem, possible related to new attack fixes (hit player)

Jan Echternach echter at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Sun Nov 26 11:43:39 CST 2000

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 08:22:58PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Jan Echternach wrote:

      > Maybe remove_ob() and free_object() should just print an error message

      > and otherwise ignore objects that are already removed or freed.  This

      > would prevent some needless server crashes.

       Now it may be reasonable to only abort if the server is compiled with DEBUG.

I don't need it for debugging because I always have a breakpoint in LOG.

Advantages and disadvantages of aborting when removing a removed object:

  + no further data corruption if the object is still used after
    remove_ob()

  - needless server crash if object is freed after remove_ob()

I remember only two server crashes from removing removed objects in the
lasts months.  In both cases, there was a free_object() after
remove_ob().

--
Jan