[CF-Devel] Sounds

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Wed Nov 29 07:21:03 CST 2000

Hi
Ah, yes. I have put in the sound 2 weeks ago and forget the spell flag.
As i rebuild it with new sounds, i skip it and then i wonder about
the sound numbers.

Btw: how many spells are in game at this moment?

Has anyone a idea how we can group then on sound side?
Except from fire/ice/lighting spells, which main groups
like summon, invoke etc. are from interest and need/should
have an identification sound?

I want give my friend a list for spell sounds we want.

MichToen

      Michael Toennies wrote:

      > What about this:

      > a signed short16 as sound ID. If it >=0, its a effect like hit,

      dead, etc.

      > If it <0, its a sound spell.

       Look at the code/docs - it already does this.  To quote from the

      protocol file:

              Informs the client to play a sound.  All arguments are

      binary data.

              x,y are signed 1 byte values which are offsets from the player.

              num is the sound number stored as a short (16 bit).

              (IT is up to client to determine which sound to

              play based on that.)  Since sound numbers seldom change

      (and in fact,

              new sounds will have a higher number than the old sounds - old

              sounds numbers will not change in meaning like what can

      happen with

              the images), this should not be much of a problem.

              type is a 1 byte value which determines sound type.  Currently, 0

              is normal sound, 1 is spell sound.  This may be extended in the

              future.

       In the case of the example you posted, all of those sounds

      generated are spell

      sounds (as denoted by the type 1)

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com