[CF-Devel] Bug: non-standard wands cause crash

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Tue Oct 3 18:52:33 CDT 2000

Hi,

I've just discovered a weird bug:
Wands with non-standard spells cause a server crash
when left-clicking on them (they must be identified).

Short description how to verify the bug:

Open crossedit, insert a (standard archetype) wand
somewhere. Add a spell to the wand that wouldn't appear
on wands in the shops. For example: "sp 159" (->nightfall).
Add food, e.g. "food 5" so that it has 5 charges.
Add "identified 1" so that it is already identified.

Now start a cf-server & client and enter the game. Pick up
the wand. Apply it (ready) and fire it. You'll see that
this works. Now left-click on the wand. BOING - server crash!
Errormessage is "Floating exception".

Why does this happen? I looked at the code for a long time,
but I couldn't locate the bug.
I know this bug does no particular harm yet. But there are
three non-standard wands in ancient pupland. I tried to fix
the appropriate map, then I discovered that the wands cause
crashes. Too bad.

Perhaps someone knows how to fix this bug? Please help...

Andreas V.