[CF-Devel] Okay here goes... my thoughts

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 27 15:48:47 CDT 2000

Hey Jan, nice hearing from you, it's been a while.

      > > Retributive strike.... WOW! that spell is, sorry to say it, rubbish.

      It's way too powerful, by far the most powerful spell (now that the

      diseases are fixed), and there is a sure way to prevent killing

      yourself even if the target is close to you.

I've no objection to turning it down.  A lot.

      > Chain Lightning would seem to fall under the mage spell umbrella.

      I'd vote for a "holy lightning":  Like face of death, but attacks with

      AT_ELECTRICITY | AT_GODPOWER, making it a quite versatile spell.  I'd

      suggest spell point costs 50 .. 100, damage 100 .. 500.  Unfortunately,

      I don't know how to code new spells with decent visual effects.

In addition to my misgivings on granting a spell which is so mage-like
to a priest, there's this issue:  Sorig seems one of the most powerful
religions already:  they get the high-order non-book disease spells because of
the attunement to PATH_WOUNDING, a valuable protection and immunity....

If we grant them this too, would it make them too powerful?

Anyway, the religions need balancing in general, but it is not a project
that I would undertake just now.  In particular, religions with no
holy word spell are annoyingly difficult to advance with--though it
is rewarding in the case of Sorig.

PeterM

      > I thought enchant armor stopped working after a certain point.  Maybe

      I changed the enchant armor code to stop at armour 90, but AFAIK you

      can still combine many items with armor 90 to get a total armor 99.

      --

      Jan

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com