[CF-Devel] Re: my thoughts...

Jan Echternach echter at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Mon Oct 30 06:13:11 CST 2000

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 10:22:15AM +1100,

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      wrote:

      > I'd vote for a "holy lightning":  Like face of death, but attacks with

      > AT_ELECTRICITY | AT_GODPOWER, making it a quite versatile spell.  I'd

      > suggest spell point costs 50 .. 100, damage 100 .. 500.  Unfortunately,

      > I don't know how to code new spells with decent visual effects.

      mmm peterm is against that, would prob be way to powerful as not alot is

      immune to godpower (and hopefully nothing with addition of partial

      protections bleh).

Well, AT_GODPOWER would be the most important property of holy
lightning, allowing priests of Sorig to damage almost everything.  But
with spell point costs 75 and damage 250, for instance, you would need
to cast 16 prayers with total costs of 1200 spell points to kill a
dragon with 4000 hit points.

      Face of death is a pretty pathetic spell in reality.

Sorry, I meant finger of death.  I don't want yet another cone spell.

Face of death is a very powerful spell, however.  Even though it starts
as a small cone that hardly kills anything at low levels, it'll be a
large cone at high wisdom levels that can wipe out a medium sized room
full of dragons with a single prayer, and without damaging any of the
dragons' treasures.

      no i am more talking about AC. while the armour stops at ninety and gives

      you a message saying it has.. you can keep using scrolls to improve AC.

There are various possibilities, e.g. limiting the magic bonus in
improve_armour() based on item type (boots and gloves max. +5, shields
max. +8 etc.), changing the formulas in fix_player(), e.g.

  ac_bonus(boots) = boots->ac + boots->magic / 3
  (This is my favorite alternative.)

or

  ac_bonus(boots) = boots->ac + min (boots->magic, 5)

or increasing the level requirements in improve_armour, e.g. one
improvement every 10 levels until level 40, after level 40 one
improvement every 20 levels.

      whats more when you do this, the weight of the armour doesn't increase.

The weight of the armour currently increases only if the armour's
armour value increases.

--
Jan