[CF-Devel] Weapons from gods

dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Mon Oct 30 17:37:05 CST 2000

I have added with some help a simple patch which forces players to
consecrate their weapons to their gods. This is done simply by copying the
consecrate code out of the add slaying and pasted a similar chunk in the
add attack_type. This means now that you can get a sword of devourers.
Once a weapon has been consecrated no other god will touch it.

A couple of issues have arrised from this.

Firstly, currently you can get one char to pray over devourers get a death
weapon and then qield it with sorig. It may be reasonable i don't know,
but in the interests of balance, we might want to make the weapon
"startequip" thus preventing the exchange of weapons. This would give
devourers alittle more advantage which it sorely needs.

Also now that the massively prayed up attack_type weapons have been
stopped, the issue of slaying and death on the same weapon arrises.
Currently, I believe, if you get death on a weapon that has slaying, death
will only attack the slayed monster type. I propose we remove this (I can
do it I think =)) and thus allow devourers to get some better weapons than
most other gods. Considering they currently get nothing but immune to
poison, disease, (which isn't exciting because it isn't ATTUNED_WOUNDING)
plus, they are vun fire and den fire (those two are VERY nasty)  it would
seem fair to let devourers get some nasty weapons to bring some serious
death and not just from the monsters to the player ;).

Now for something completely different,

I came across the idea of allowing gods especially mostrai to improve
items other than weapons. (obviously going to require some balancing). My
intial guess would be to add an ATTUNED_ARMOUR or the likes. Which when
given allows gods to improve in this case armour. Ruggilli for instance
might improve weapons and bows, gaea might improve shields and helmets.
Peterm thinks this is wrong as ATTUNED is for magic and improving items
via gods is not the same. I agree, but I can't see any other way to do it,
and after frustrating Peterm to the point of insanity ill leave it there.
If someone has a better idea as to how to do it, please put it forward.

Any ideas, objections, points and "stuff" please reply to the devel list
so I can get an idea of your thoughts.

dnh (Darth_bob)

ps. I have added a whole new set of bows for your enjoyment (which all
need PNGs). If anyone wants to change any of my graphics feel free but
send them to me so I can take alook at your art =). Also i recently added
a "spiked shield" which gives damage but is a shield. Along with this we
have made some balance adjustments to improve some left out items (elven
boots now have speed, Girdle of damage adds more, speed boots add even
more speed, bows shoot slower but do alot  more damage)

pps I am almost halfway through my exams...

<spam>
pppppppps #crossfire is where I generally put forward my initial ideas, we
would welcome ANYONE to join because the more ideas we have their the
sooner I can put them to the list =) (Mark we would love to see you =)))
</spam>