[CF-Devel] Suggestion for human race-- faster advancement

Peter Mardahl peterm at alfven.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 6 03:56:56 CDT 2001

       I thought the races were already balanced by those that actually get good

      benefits have a net stat penalty.

       I have no problem with giving whatever is needed to better balance the

      classes/races.  I just thought they had already been balanced.

I wouldn't call it "unbalanced", just uninteresting.
No race has a "net stat" negative.  However, every race,
but humans, has a skewing of stats which makes it
more suitable for particular purposes, and more fun!

For example, Elves make good spellcasters, but middling fighters
gnomes make good priests, but poor thief/fighters,
Fireborn make awesome spellcaster/priests and horrible fighters,
Quetzalcoatls are good at fighting and roasting things, but
horrible at learning any new magic....

Dwarves, orcs,  and trolls make decent fighters, and bad spellcasters
and halflings make good thieves and terrible priests.

Humans aren't attractive because they aren't exceptionally good
at anything:  even with class bonuses they can't start with
any really high stats.

It's not actually that they're unbalanced, just extremely boring.

PeterM