[CF-Devel] resistance on flesh

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Apr 7 17:22:28 CDT 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      Now IMO, it may be a nice feature to actually have bodyparts transfer

      their effects to the player for some amount of time.  This would

      actually make some bodyparts more useful, and probably wouldn't unbalance

      things much with the PR code.

Hm... maybe an interesting thing if we do it right.
A few questions and suggestions:

o There is only one "food-effect"? I suppose additional
  eating will not rise resistance, rather change it.

o How much resistance do we actually hand out? Taking the exact value
  from the flesh is a very bad idea. Even low level stuff like "beholder's
  tongue" has values up to 50%. And shouldn't there be more benefit from
  a "Dread's eye" than from a "beholder's tongue"?
  I think we should make value dependant on level difference between
  flesh<->player. (Flesh should inherit level from the killed monster
  for that purpose.)
  And, when I eat flesh with 50% resistance (that is kinda default)
  from a monster with equal level, I should get only low resistance
  like 20%. Maybe less, depending on how important we want flesh
  to get.

o What about duration? Mabye fix, maybe level dependant...
  We could eventually make the duration shorter if the player
  already has a lot of resistance in that cathegory, for additional
  balancing.
  That way, flesh would be great help for low levels and "hard races",
  but less help for the high level freaks.
  Bad point: We'd need to adjust duration when the player changes
  equipment. Or we calculate it independand every tick, a bit like
  digestion.

      Now with the latest food patch, probably the delta of how much food

      actually gets added should count (ie, if you at 990, eat a 500 food

      dragon stake, you only get 10/500 or 2% of normal duration).

Yes, certainly. Same should be done for gaining health by
eating btw.

--------------------
A few answers regarding the previous mail from Mark:

      > I think casting protection spells on eating flesh is a bad idea. Flesh

     is

      > just much too common. It would no longer be neccessary to cast any prot.

      > spells by magic. That again would strengthen the warriors and make

      > wizards/priests more lame in comparison. And sorig, for example has

      > "denied protection" as major penalty - That would get obsolete too.

      Aren't scrolls immune to that anyways?  So for sorig, all your really

      forcing the person to do is find appropriate scrolls of protection?

Protection scrolls are rare, flesh is not.

      Note if we do it via special food effects, then presumably the benefits

      would be given to everyone equally, as you could still stack it with

      the protection spell.  It would basically mean that you could get a bit

      more protection by carrying around appropriate food, but with PR, this

      probably isn't a really big deal.  After all, if you know what your

      about to face, you do the same thing by equipping the appropriate items

      with the right protections.

That very much depends on the amount of resistance flesh items give.
If the value is too high, it could be a serious blow to balance.
Don't forget: I can wear all my equipment AND cast protection spells
AND eat flesh items.

Andreas V.