[CF-Devel] Hey, slow down a bit!

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 23:15:58 CDT 2001

Hi, me again-
  I'd just like to say, that I think maybe these new releases could
be a bit less frequent? When I rejoined the list around a month ago,
I decided to set up a 2nd linux box as a stand alone CF server
(I don't want to trample over Debian's nicely packaged old version),
and set about to download 0.96.0 that had been released maybe a week
or 2 earlier. It was only available on one server, the mirrors
still hadn't got it by then! Having got all the files, I tried to get
that P100 box to come to life. No luck.
  Then, 2 weeks later, out comes 0.97! Obviously, that had a lot of
bugfixes since 0.96, and getting them out makes other bugs easier
to spot, which is good. But then, another 2 weeks later, 0.98!!
  Thankfully for me, I've FINALLY sorted out the P100, and expect the
latest CF to be running on it by tommorow night, so *I'm* happy...
...BUT
  The problem I see is, there must be a good many people who are
into CF, but not *all the time*. They may get really into it for
a while, then go off and do something else for a few weeks.
And whilst most of the bugs sound like they're going (I'll finally
get to SEE for myself now), it tends to be that certain problems
aren't noticed when a system is already unstable. Now the game is
approaching stability, there are people reporting connections
dropping when too much happens, and such things. Even though this
may be well understood by most/all of the dev-team, and has had
patches to reduce the traffic, it does sound like maybe a pretty big
problem, and one that could require a lot of work.
   ..
   So I guess what I'm asking is, when the game really does seem
stable, can we wait more than 2 weeks before releasing V1.0?? Just
to let those people who don't work on it or play it all year round
check it all out thoroughly? Having BIG changes in a "stable" version
to solve a serious bug is not nice for anyone.
Thanks for hearing my POV,
Tomble (Tom Barnes-Lawrence)
PS-Whats the policy for including new mapsets right now or within
the stable releases? Mine should prolly be usable some time soon...