[CF-Devel] post V1.0

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.yi.org
Tue Apr 10 12:40:26 CDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:44:32PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
[snip]

       I do like the idea of a newbie starting area.  It would in fact not be very

      hard to do - basically, you may it so that the hall of selection dumps you in

      some dinky town, and that town has a few quests/maps to do, but once you leave

      that town, you can't re-enter it (or if you do, you get a map that looks the

      same, but in fact all the dungeons aren't there any more).  Since map paths

      don't need to map back to each other, as said, this can be really easy to do.

OK, I just had an idea for a newbie starting area...

New players, after the Hall of Selection, get put into a little slum city
with a few smallish shops, and lots of small monsters (kobolds, orcs, etc)
and child thieves. The player then has to fight for survival, and then
finally track down the mastermind of the rogues (a medium-low level
monster, maybe an ogre or something). Once he kills the mastermind, there
is a reward, probably basic eq needed for survival in the "real world",
and then the player gets teleported out of that city, never to return
again.

So the city can be tailored specifically with easy monsters for new
players, with helpful basic eq, etc.. Perhaps even better prices at the
magic shop for spells, etc..

Just a thought I have. Hopefully somebody can develop this idea? I'm busy
with another mapset of mine at the moment.

Why is the sea always restless? It's bed is too rocky to sleep on.