[CF-Devel] Crossfire Scripting language

gros gros at magellan.fpms.ac.be
Fri Apr 20 10:05:42 CDT 2001

Le Vendredi 20 Avril 2001 01:16, vous avez écrit :

      gros wrote:

      > Suggestion - could anyone try to make a complete list of needed scripting

      > abilities ?

       you only sent the reply to me, not the entire list.  So I recopy most of

      the message here.

Ooops... Sorry. This will not happen again

      > We could use existing Crossfire objects to store script variables, or to

      > pass variables between different scripts. I used the invisible force

      > object in my scripting implementation to do just that. For example, I

       That mechanism still uses normal crossfire objects.  The problem is if

      your holding variables in your script or passing them between scripts, they

      are external to how crossfire sees them, and so will not be saved.  The

      point is that variables used within the script somehow have to be linked

      back to crossfire objects, or some external implementation to save these

      variables would be needed.

In a previous message, you suggested the use of a generic object
('npc_var_holder') to store vars. What I was trying to say is that I used
force objects just like that and so a new object was unneeded.

       If anything, a scripting helper in the editor could be added.  Many

      commercial games do that.  I also would noto expect the first time map

      maker to go and make some really complicated NPC script.  So you could very

      well have a simple primer (do this/that to get something done), and of

      course the advanced developers may be able to use some more advanced

      features.

     In fact, I was thinking of such a tool.

       Easy to learn is only one consideration - to me, one that is just as big

      is readability of the scripts by others, since almost certainly someone

      will need to do something with it later on.  And scheme has never gone into

      that category in my mind.

That's right - I'll try to use something more easy to read, probably Python.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Commander Gros
Ad Dwarvam Aeternam !