[CF-Devel] ot: list archive/spam concern

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Thu Apr 26 21:09:23 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Preston Crow wrote:

      I'm concerned that the archive of this list exposes email addresses to

      spammers.  The issue is that spammers will run web robots to search for

      email addresses, and they will find all of ours in the archives.

      Is the archive something we control?

Yes.

There is an option in Mailman that hides the senders email address
(replacing it with the list address)

I still need to do a little more investigating to see how this works,
exactly.  For instance, does it just "hide" the email address in the
archive, or in the actual message that gets sent to the list.  Will
turning this option on break anything, etc.

      Could we have a sed script to do something like:

         s/@[a-zA-Z1-9-_.]*[.]/@{domain}./g

      That would hide the addresses from the web, making posting to the list

      safe.

      I've seen one or two list archives do this.

I'm not sure how something like that would work with the current setup
for the Announce, Devel and Discussion list.

It'something I would have to bug the admins here about.. ;)

- Rick Tanner

     leaf at real-time.com