[CF-Devel] Technical Object Questions

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Wed Aug 1 13:01:54 CDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Nils Lohner wrote:

      - some items (keys, shields, arrows) have no names

      ...answer: they use their archetype name tmp->arch->name

 That sounds correct.

      - daggers aren't throwable

      ...find throwing daggers :)

 You can actually throw anything (chairs, swords, etc).  However, items
that are specially throwable throw a lot better.

 To be honest, I don't think many people actually use the throwing feature
of crossfire - I think this to some extent is because it is hard to get enough
throwable items to make it worth the bother to use this (and using bows
is more effective).

      - chairs and tables are classed as 'weapons'

      item name chair

      item type 15

      0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

      ...and chairs (if weapons :) should at least be throwable as well.

      ...should/could a type 'FURNITURE' be created for them?

 I think they should be throwable (as said, I believe everything is
throwable).  Now it may be that they are not the first thing to be chosen.

      - looking at food (generic food)

      FOOD

      item name==NULL food

      item type 6

      0 [31] 0010 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1100 [0]

      1 [63] 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 [32]

      2 [95] 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 0000 [64]

      3 [127] 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 [96]

      ...the flag[2] is #define FLAG_CAN_USE_SKILL      79 /* The monster can use skills */

      ...is this normal??!??

 If I read your table above, would that entry actually be 80?
That one is FLAG_BEEN_APPLIED, which meant the player has applied
(eaten) at least one of the food objects.

      Otherwise, I have a good idea of how I want it to work, how to integrate

      it with the existing one, and how to finish it.  Suggestions for other

      autopickup classes welcome.

      two more to add:

      LITERATURE books, scrolls

      DRINKS drinks

      POTIONS

 Most people use value density pickup, which covers things like potions
and scrolls and leaves the heavier stuff alone.  But having more choices
is never bad.

      Maybe even get more detailed, but at that point the functionality should

      come from search-items since that takes game-time.  Just grabbing one

      type of thing shouldn't take time, sorting for something should.

 Really, this is a matter of playability and fun.  In theory, any amount
of choosing on any criteria should take time.  IF there is a pile of 20
items, and you only want to pick up 5 of those, it should realistically
take some time to pick those out.  And while many items group together
into large sums, in reality, they would probably be scattered apart - that
500 gp wouldn't be a nice pile, but rather scattered all over the area in
single coin pieces in most cases.

      Also, can I get read-only CVS access on SF?  I don't need write, I don't

      know how much I'll contribute, and I can submit a lot as patches if

      someone's willing to apply them.

 Look at the notes on sourceforge - it has directions on setting up
your CVS stuff (anyone who wants it gets read-only access to all sourceforge
stuff, because everything is set up that way).

 I would say that if you do plan to do more work on crossfire, you should
get write access at some point.  I certainly do like to look over and
review submissions by new developers, but at some point, this just becomes
a time waster and better for the person to just check in their stuff directly.