[CF-Devel] Guile vs Python

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Mon Aug 20 00:27:10 CDT 2001

My thought is this:

1) Crossfire should standardize on one scripting language and stick to that.
While the argument could be made that more options are always better, the
argument that simplicity is good also holds true (one could say that if there
are already 2 scripting languages, why not 3 or 4 or whatever).  As people who
maintain things like maps and archetypes, it isn't a lot to ask people doing
that to learn one scripting language and know how it works, but asking them to
know a whole bunch may be difficult.

2) My personal choice for scripting would be perl, as that is what I am most
familiar with.  I have a feeling that the answers below would largely depend on
what people are familiar with.  Now my understanding is that python is much more
similiar to perl than guile is.  That, and the fact that python is probably much
more commonly used than guile is probably a good thing.  A scripting language
that people know how to write in with minimal learning will probably promote
more people to write scripted objects.

Chachkoff Yann wrote:
<snip>

      should I:

      - Replace Guile by Python in the main Crossfire stream ?

      - Add Python support without removing Guile ?

      - Another clever solution ?

      Chachkoff Y.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com