[CF-Devel] Client/server protocol enhancements.

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Dec 30 14:51:42 CST 2001

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 06:11:50PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Sending this to the list to see if anyone has anything in addition to what I

      describe below aded - its easier to extend some of this all in one swoop so that

      different revisions of the same function are not needed, even if for the current

      time, the value may just be zero.  For this reason, some of these va

I can think of a few things that might be nice to have:

onscreen player position: Right now the client does not know where on
the screen the player is, usually it is right in the center but not
always. If the client knew this information, it could do a few neat things
in terms of user-feedback. Like flashing the player square red when
resistance to fire is either lost of attained...

checksum of the image file the server is using: To help with image caching,
if the server sent a checksum of the file containing all the
png images, it would know if the images it has in its cache from a
previous run are still valid or not.

Does the server currently allow dynamically changing the viewable
area size? That could be a nice client feature.

Umm, can the client currently get a list of all spells and spell
descriptions and stuff from the server? What about skills?

It would also be nice if the client could get a list of all
player races and ability score bonus/penalties and starting
skills for a better new player interface.

Would it also be possible to make the client/server handshaking more
strict? So like enforce sending version and setup commands before
anything else.

I'm sure I think of some more stuff later..

	-Scott