[CF-Devel] "Pets"

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Feb 3 01:26:42 CST 2001

Joel South wrote:

       Hi.

        I really think pets shouldn't dissapear when you enter a tightly confined

      area. Perhaps someone should make it that if the pet cannot fit in the new

      map,then it would stay behind in the previous one and wait for its owner to

      come back. I would like this,especially since i'm making a new mapset,in

      which a main character in my story joins you and follows you around like a

      pet.

 This isn't feasible with the way the code is currently done.

 First, their is no guarentee that the player will ever return to where they
left their pets.

 Second, once the map is swapped out to disk, it is no longer possible to record
in any reasonable fashion who the pet belongs to.

 The real solution is to make sure hte exit has some free space around it so
that there will be space for the pests.  There is seldom any good reason why
this can't be done - usually, when entering a map, the player should not be
immediately surrounded by monsters, so having a little space or small chamber
that the exit is on should always be possible.