[CF-Devel] way to crash of server

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Feb 10 03:03:21 CST 2001

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hm

      This Hall of Selection brings me to some other older idea.

      Is it possible to create this map and perhaps other too as temp "personal"

      maps? Mean on char per map, like the appartments.

      In the case of the hall of Selection is this a good thing.

      These "temp personal" maps are memory only. There is no need to

      save them.

      And when i think about it, i saw more potential for them also in normal

      map design.

      Michael

 I'll probably add some setting which basically says to just purge the map from
memory and not swap them out.

 The hall of selection is a little odd in that a player is moved into it via the
server code and not an exit.  It should be pretty easy to modify that at least
so it loads one per player.

 It would actually not be hard to do this for exits in general (basic code
effect is to always call load original map and never ready map name).  I'm
unsure of the need and desire to do this.

 first, crossfire is a multi player game, so maps should generally be accessible
by all players.  If you get a proliferation of maps that are per player
instance, that sort of removes the multiplayer feature.

 Second, depending on how such maps are done, I could see it being pretty easy
for players to make a significant performance impact on the server (ie, hop on
to a per player instance map, hop off, hop back in where a new instance is
loaded, hop back off, etc).  This can start creating fairly considerable load on
the server.