[CF-Devel] (old) bugs

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Feb 16 18:09:58 CST 2001

Uups, I accidentally sent this mail only to Mark, not to cf-devel.
Here it is for everybody now:
---------

Looks like I provided a bit too sparse
info in some cases... But here we go:

      [...]

      > o cfclient: When I resize the window, client crashes. This bug existed

      >   since I first used cfclient.

      I do this all the time, and it never crashes.  There is a bug in that if

      you resize the window while in metaserver selection mode, the window grows

      but it doesn't re-size the subwindows.  But I haven't seen it crash.

      Perhaps more information on exactly how to do this might be useful.

I suspect it might be a system-dependant bug then. I do nothing special,
just install the client and run it. It crashes *always* when I resize it,
at any time of play. I use SuSE linux 7.0.

      > o CF server (attack code): I've noticed that multisquare monsters

      >   sometimes don't attack me with melee. They move next to me, cast

      >   spells at me, but no melee attack. Any idea why this could happen?

      Where is the monsters logical head located relative to you (logical head

      always being the upper left corner of the monster).  I wonder if perhaps

      the code is thinking that the monster is not directly adjacent (of which

      the head is not), even though it is due to the rest of its body.

This bug doesn't seem to depend on my relative position to the monster's
head. I noticed it very clearly when testing "Lorkas", the multi-square
angel (and final boss) in Warrior Proving Tower.
Sometimes he attacked melee, sometimes not. But he always casted spells and
moved around.
I'd love to tell you a "reason" for this to happen, but I can't yet.

      [...]

        The movement scripts don't work for multisquare monsters. The monsters

        seemingly are always treated one square, using the head (upper-left

     edge)

        of multi-squares. For monsters like 3x3 upwards, this leads to serious

        malfunction.

      It should work.  I've seen big monsters move around.  Perhaps you can

      provide a better example?

Sorry, you completely misunderstood my point (my fault).
I referred to the attack-movement here. Not "monster relative to walls",
but "monster relative to player".

For example: When I set a certain attack_movement number (think that number
was 1), the monster tries to maintain a distance of two squares to the
player.
But the distance is counted only from the monster's head. Thus, when I
approach a 3x3 monster from above (north) - fine it will step away from me.
But when I approach it from below (south) - it doesn't step away because
head is in 3 squares distance north since monster *is* 3x3. Monster stands
close
to me, I can easily attack with melee, thus attack-movement algo has
completely
failed it's purpose.

Andreas V.