[CF-Devel] new graphics

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Feb 16 21:14:12 CST 2001

      So what do you propose to do? I see two valid options:

      1) Insert new graphics into current png set. Eventually trying not

         to replace existing art that is good (and in the "correct" tilted style).

         Advantage here: We can start right away.

      2) Start a second png set, to use all the new stuff. Of course we must

         remove xpm and xbm then. But most of the good xpm art is in the png set

         already, due to PeterM's recent effort.

         I believe that several people wanted to have a png set with front-view

         monsters (replacing xpm) anyways. Long before we got these new tiles.

         However, there must be a few tweaks in the client/server code and

         install scripts to support the new configuration of tile sets.

         If we choose to go this way, it would be nice to pull it off rather

         quick, so that the artists don't get bored. ;)

This is defn my prefered choice. We can start on the second set straight
away also. Basically it will be exactly the same as png except monsters
will be front view instead of ISO. (Building etc will be the same).
I would suggest that if someone were to take this on they could create the
whole new png set in two days or less. I would say version 1.0 would
support only png 32 x 32. njh (my brother) has finished and released a new
tiler specifically designed for png in linux;

     http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~njh/programming/tile-widget-0.0.0.tar.bz2

Hopefull we can get a client that uses this very soon and this can
probably also be used for a new crossedit if someone was interested.

dnh