[CF-Devel] Jeweler?

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Feb 17 02:22:02 CST 2001

dnh wrote:

      Hmm I always thought appraisment was the jeweler skill scroll.. it appears

      either a) I am mistaken in which case what is the correct scroll, or b) it

      has been broken (which might also have something to do with the fact that

      jewels are currently pre-identified.. has someone fiddled with this stuff?

 Sort of.

 appraisement is the right skill.

 The problem is this bit of code:

#if 0 /* Bit verbose, but keep it here until next time I need it... */
  {
    char identified = QUERY_FLAG(op, FLAG_IDENTIFIED);
    SET_FLAG(op, FLAG_IDENTIFIED);
    LOG(llevDebug, "Generated artifact %s %s [%s]\n",
      op->name, op->title, describe_item(op));
    if (!identified)
          CLEAR_FLAG(op, FLAG_IDENTIFIED);
  }
#endif

 Now at first glance, you would think that the above code should not change the
identified status of objects.  But in fact, it clears it because a char value is
not large enough to hold the QUERY_FLAG request.  So this code basically cleared
the identified value for all objects.

 Random artifacts normally inherit the identified value of the object they are
derived from.  The gem types are by default identified.  So either changing the
gem archetypes to not be identified or changing the code so that all random
artifacts are not identified is probably the needed fix.