[CF-Devel] Stress(?) testing: 3 days 7 players approximately 20hrs each day

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Mon Feb 19 14:49:13 CST 2001

Background: Real Time takes crossfire to Con of the North
(

     http://www.conofthenorth.org

     ) each year. We do this because it's fun :-) and to
expose crossfire to more people.

Praise: This year as all years crossfire was a popular game. We ran 7 clients,
approximately 20 hours a day over a 3 day period.

The png maps where a big hit, although slower then the xbm. The hard core people
still used the xbm for the speed.

The gtk client was received with much praise. Especially the keybinding area and
the curse/magical highlighting.

We ran all linux, so the dxclient was not used, but many people expressed
interest in it and took a flyer on where to download it.

Problems: Stability. The server crashed very often. We are running 0.96.0, this
was a big turn off for the players.

Crashed whenever a new player would log in.

Crashed whenever a new player would "Roll Again" more then 3 times.

Crashed whenever you where in the Tower of Demonology and you get to those
teleporters where 3 say "Down" to get out. 1 says you must say something. If you
say down on the teleport it crashed.

I saved 30+ core dumps when I'll investigate and see if I can solve them
myself.

Just a wrap up of the 0.96.0 release.

Rick, any other places it always crashed? Those are all I have in my notes.

--
Bob Tanner <

     tanner at real-time.com

     http://www.mn-linux.org