[CF-Devel] Skill scrolls... AGAIN?

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Feb 20 23:59:36 CST 2001

dnh wrote:

      I am not 100% but I am fairly sure alchemisty scrolls have vanished

 They are still in the treasure lists.

 I notice that skill scrolls don't show up very often, so it becomes pretty hard
to know if one has disappeared.  i've been keeping an eye out for skill scrolls,
and I know I haven't seen some at all, despite looking a lot at the shops.

 The rarity of some items in shops is a problem (or maybe not depending on your
point of view).  What I can see happening is a mad rush to magic shops as they
reset on active servers as player look for the specific items they want.

 The original reason I added the identification tables was before then the only
way to identify stuff was via the spell (or scroll), and if playing with a few
people, the shops would very quickly get cleared out of any id scrolls around
because they were so useful.

 I think it would be much cooler to have guilds where you can learn the skills.
Pass a test (if deemed necessary), pay some money, and get the skill.  This can
easily be done by the various invisible object inserters (or creator).  The
advantage of object inserters is the character does not then need to read the
scroll.  REally, that grunt fighter should really be able to learn punching
without much difficulty, but with the current literacy methods, its actually
pretty unlikely he'll learn it from a scroll.