[CF-Devel] Future development & version 1.0.

Jan Echternach echter at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Tue Jan 2 13:00:07 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:31:57PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      2) Scalibility of server.  I don't know the most heavily loaded a server has

      been, but potentially if we are trying to make crossfire mainstream, this could

      be tens to hundreds of users.  I'm not sure how well it currently does - even on

      my slow sparc 10 running the tavern, a couple players did not seem to chew up

      much cpu, so I think we may be OK on that.

I think I've figured out what caused very bad performance on my local
server.  It's easy to reproduce this way:  Take a level 100 wizard and
cast meteor swarms at a wall for about 10 seconds.  My Pentium-133
slows down to a crawl because there is a O(n^2) in this scenario.
There can be as many as 100 active fire cone objects on one map square,
each trying to hit each other in hit_map().

      of various buildings/dungeons having bee ncleared out.  With 30 players on a

      server, I could see it being quite difficult to find available dungeons.  The

One thing that makes this worse is that each time a player enters a map
to look if it has been resetted the time until map reset is restored to
its initial value.  All players would have to agree on using the "maps"
command to find available dungeons.

--
Jan