[CF-Devel] O(n^2) hit-map

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 3 17:42:04 CST 2001

       Any reason we can't make them sort of mergable?

       IF for example they are the same except for damage (ie, they are moving the

      same direction, have the same distance to still move, and so on), merge them

      have the damage additive?  Would that work? (I guess the better question is -

      does anyone see any terrible side effects with that?)

I don't see merging them as very straightforward.  You see, each fireball
is going to be in a different stage of development.

Limiting the objects per space seems a pretty bad idea to me as well:
too high a cost.

How about this:
1)  Only make certain types of objects "hittable".
2)  Sort the stack:
   a) floor
   b) items
   c) monsters + players
   d) non-hittable stuff
3) Stop "hit_map" at d)

Well, it seems like you proposed something like this below, but I think
this would work.

PeterM