[CF-Devel] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv sounds

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Mon Jan 29 03:21:17 CST 2001

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hm, i know that some of you never even started the dx client,

      but you really should do it. No one said you must play it,

      but perhaps you will find some interesting.

If you don't have access to windows... may I ask how I am _supposed_ to
try it?? Perhaps you are making an assumption that everyone has windows
somewhere?

      Because i have do some hard work to the sound interface on client side

      inclusive many new sounds.

      So, walking around with dxclient in CF with sounds gives you a real new game

      feeling.

Cool.

      I had new sounds for handles and a row of spell sounds included. Also a

      system

      of how many and which sounds should be repeat and so on.

Cool. have you got a system for handling multiple sounds for the same
thing? Ie two different physical attack sounds that randomly change
between the two?

      I had announced the sound interface some times and asked also for spell

      sounds, but i got more

      and more the feeling most of my work get ignored because i develop for

      windows.

No, it isn't ignored. But what can I say or do? You wont do anything for
the linux client.. why should you expect the reverse?

      I mean, the dx client has now more than 50 sounds.

Wow. That is nice... why haven't you put them in the linux client?

      You got sound effects when you get drained or depleted, even when you

      wear/unwear a item

      which changes states. Warning for food. Dynamic hp lose "ouch" sounds = more

      hp lose =

      harder sounds = you got hit hard.

      Dynamic food steps, looping background sound, give me a server command for

      it...

      Spell sounds for many different spells, etc, etc, etc.

      I put most "weapon" sounds to a "deep" sound, which you can hear longer and

      don't start to

      go after 5 minutes on your nerves, etc.

      Well, look by yourself.

This I am afraid is impossible. I have absolutely no access what so ever
to a windows machine and thus cannot look. I got a brief glimpse awhile
ago cause I installed it on a friends computer (who didn't have sound).

Again I stress, you seem to think that the linux developers (I am not sure
how many there are) are going to constantly check to see what they can
copy from the windows client. I have noted the linux client is being
constantly worked on, I assume by Mark, for example there is now code for
handling metaserver instructions. For things like your new sounds, please
please please, explain to someone that you have them, and ask if they can
put them in.  It would appear the current situation is, windows client is
getting updated completely seperatly to the *nix client, perhaps better
team work is involved here??

dnh

ps. still waiting for images of _certain_ people ;)

pps. Go look at the new poll on Mids web page (mids.student.utwente.nl)

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com