[CF-Devel] maps - media arch

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Tue Jul 17 09:13:45 CDT 2001

One note for the ambient sound/sound source i introduce the map before:
This is looping stuff or random looped stuff - So it need somewhat different
way to handle it and thats the reason why i should be seperated from map
cmd.

There is another thing i want include in the SDL client - media tags!

What is a media tag/ media arch? A modified magic mouth, submiting ont only
a text messages.

In fact, its only a addition to a magic mouth. A magic mouth drops a text
message
every time you step on it.

A media tag is only a additional information, this magic mouth submit to the
client.

Mainly, this works so and its only a text string addition:

<media tag string>0x0a<text string>

A media tag is nothing more than a file name!
it can be .wav (sound), .png(gfx) and for example .mpg (for video!!).

Now, if the client get a media cmd (the modified new magic mouth - all old
magic mouthes in maps
are still usable - they just send a media cmd with media tag = 0 and 2nd
part is old text message).

When now a media tag is like showme.png, the client search in the media
folder for this gfx.
If he found it, he shows it!

I will include in the client a area where this png can be shown - they can
be big! 100x100 or bigger!

So, when you step in front of a door, the magic mouth triggers and shows you
a text message like strange
black door and the media tag shows you a rendered big picture of this door!

This can go on!!

When you attach a sound file in this way: Then we can play this when you
step on it!! In this way,
we include speech to CF!! Like you HEAR the "who is there" or something!

For videos, this is real cool - we can include dramatic story elements with
it!

Well, before i forgot: This should be all client side - means the server
only submit the in the maps
defined file name. The player then have to download the (normally big) files
extern to his media folder!
If the client can't find the media file, he skip it - we have still the text
message!

This stuff is really cool - assume we can include this in the script stuff -
means sending media tag
when wield a item or do some other action - NPCS starts explaining you
someting with REAL VOICES
when you ask them...