[CF-Devel] maps - media arch

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Tue Jul 17 23:58:34 CDT 2001

No, the media cmd should be some special, different from normal sounds.
Also ambient sounds are different used, sound sources too.

Voice action is really easy to implement - just get a microphone, record
some and
voila! If we have the cmd, i can ask a friend to make some real cool speech
effects.
He has some professional equipment and can speaks good english, so he can
make some
fancy things.

Also, this can be easily implemented with scripts then - thing about maps
you assign a media
tag and then you show a big 120x120 drawn pixel map when you examine the
map.

Please lets insert this cmd YET because i just have the code of the client
in the hand and we
can insert it without real work.

When this stuff is insert, map makers will use it.
Well, some speech or sound effects should be no problem.

       I don't really have any problems with adding a 'media' protocol

      command that

      the server sends to the client.

       Arguably, the media command should be used for all sounds.

       My only thought is that it won't get used that much (except for perhaps

      sound).  With the difficult in just getting png images down for

      the map size, I

      don't really see it likely that arbitrary sized images that

      display special

      things will get done anytime soon.  Even less so for movies.

      Similar for voice

      acting.

       So I guess in summary: IMO, yes, this is a cool feature.  I just

      don't see it

      getting used for much at all in the near future.  This, in my

      mind, puts it more

      at the bottom of list of things to do.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com