[CF-Devel] sounds system

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Jul 19 03:49:52 CDT 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      > Trustworthyness is a tricky issue.  There is some level of exposure

      > of data that the client maybe should not really know, but letting the

      > client know it doesn't expose much risk. [...]

      As I said in another message, player map location IMO starts to

      open up things much more to make clients that cheat and make play

      much easier.

      The trivial 'cheating' client would just dump out all the sound

      sources when the player enters the map, ie something like:

      torch.wav (5,10)

      torch.wav (15,12)

      waterfall.wav (20,3)

      [...]

I agree that we shouldn't give away critical information to the client.
But I think it really doesn't make sense to bother about minor stuff
like map size, player- or soundsource locations.

Don't forget that all the map data for crossfire is available to anyone.
If I want to make a cheat client, I can integrate the whole CF map-bundle
in my client.
Then, I can easily create features like these:
- Whenever a player approaches a gate with magic_ear, the password gets
  printed automatically.
- When a player approaches a locked gate, the exact coordinates of the
  appropriate key get printed.
- When a player is fighting a monster, the monster's resistances get
listend.
etc etc...

So, considering this is possible and noone has cared about it yet - I think
map size, player- or soundsource locations are minor.

Andreas V.