[CF-Devel] Fog of war code checked in

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Jul 22 14:01:07 CDT 2001

So I finally got around to finishing up my fog of war client
feature. To use just checkout the latest CVS client and server
and start the client with the command line: -sdl -fog
For the moment the fog code only works with the sdl blitter.
Some server cooperation is needed for this to work properly but it
is possible to connect to an older server. The new CVS server now
sends a newmap notification to the client when the player enters
a new map if the client requested such a notification. Use
Control-Shift-i to simuate this notification if playing on an
older server.
When playing on one of the cvs-11b servers I see in the metaserver
list, a bug that was just fixed that sent too much info to the
client makes itself obvious. With the fog code you basically
get a sort of xray vision effect where it seems the player can
see through walls and stuff.

Mark, you should probably redo my server changes if you have some time,
the change is very minor but I don't know the server code very well
so I probably violated some coding standard or something.
I didn't update the Protocol doc because of that.

	-Scott