[CF List] Spoilers

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Jul 17 23:09:17 CDT 2001

 I didn't look over the entire list, but it seems a lot of it can be condensed
down with:

1) Always search for traps on doors and chests before opening them.  Search
multiple times to increase the likelihood of finding the traps.

2) Kill all monsters in one area before moving to the next area.  Don't leave
monsters behind that will cause problems later.  Especially make sure you
eliminate the generators (it may be worth describing what the generators look
like)

3) Don't pick up treasure as you go (or if you do, only pick up the good
stuff).  Instead, clear out the monsters, and then come back and pick
everything.  Ideally, make one big pile of all your loot - this way similar
items group together, so can improve money when selling (See next note)

4) Cast detect curse and detect magic on items before you sell them - if you
can't cast the spells yourself, use the altars in the shop.  Note that one spell
will cover all items on the floor and/or in your inventory.  Sell non magical
items and cursed items right away.  For magic items, it is usually worth it to
start identifying them at a pretty early level.  If you have skills that
identify (jeweler, smithery, bowyer, etc), use these skills.  Note only does it
save you money, but it gets you exp also.  While in many cases the cost of
identify may not be recouped when you sell the item, it only takes a few really
good items to shift the balance that other way (a +3 sword may cover the costs
for a hundred identifications for example)

5) Don't be afraid to retreat if you get too beat up.  Best thing is to leave
the map with danger on it, as monsters will not follow.  This provides a safe
way to get your hp/sp/grace up.

6) (this should really be number one): If your character starts with praying
skill, look at the gods and become a follower of one ASAP.  Some are much better
than others, but the benefits of some of the easier ones are very good.

 Thats just some notes off the top of my head.  I don't really mind a detailed
description for perhaps a few of the dungeons, but it strikes me at some point
you really want to teach how to play the game overall, and not just get through
some of those dungeons alive, which is what I think the points above try to do.

 Also, I'm little worried that a detailed description could pose problems if
some of the stuff changes - ie, some new monsters get added to a map, or
generation of maps/items somehow changes, or even if the location gets shuffled
around some.  This is more a problem with just keeping the doc up to date than
anything else.