[CF-Devel] Iso CF start phase

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sat Jun 9 10:09:58 CDT 2001

Hi

I will now start to setup the arch, maps and server to ISO cf.
The Editor is ready for it.

** PLEASE don't touch the CVS until i do the release today or next day**

I will use the CVS snapshot to do the client/server changes.
Because the script engine will included and i will make a windows
server/binary (with guile script) i will make some changes.

** same for arch and maps **

Iso CF transfering needs there some work too!

This means:

1.) the editor do the collect for the arches. It will write:
- bmaps.
- crossfire.png
- archetypes
- animations

All this will done from loaded stuff (expect the pngs)
Notice, that there will be no faces. file and no
crossfire.xbm/crossfirexpm anymore. This will be first step
to remove it.
I had find out a quick patch for the server (change to lines) to do this.
So, we can use this as test.

2.) transfering arches and maps

I will setup the arch and maps in a way, we must touch every pieces to
transfer
it to iso. The editor will have some commands to automate this, for example
find & replace thing.

This means: When you have a map, think about 2x2 all of grass.arc, using
grass.111.

Then this grass.arc will be old type.

In Iso, there will be a /ground/grass/grass_1.arc.

For transfering the one, it is needed to transfer grass.arc to grass_1.arc.

Ok, i can hear you: "why in hell? so much work! ..."

Let me say that this will give us the chance:
- to restyle some maps
- using more intelligence style sets!
- style sets will give the power to use mask, i will introduce this later
- rework the painful looking of some maps
- and so on

Remember: ** No logic and no technical part of a map will touched **
And not the look, the logic is the hard one.

But we have MANY unfinished maps!
 - bad style
 - unused exits
 - unfinished quest
 - broken maps!

When we now transer this all step by step we can do
- a doc for every map
- finally a description

We NEED this.

Ask AV about how long he needs to finds out the puplands map and how much
work it was.

There will come new stuff in future and we don't want work over and over
through map
we don't understand anymore to fix it.

This is the big cut we need to face lift the maps AND do some rework.

3.) Scripting: Scriptfire

Scripting is so great and gros scriptfire works fine.
This will give us the chance to include this from bottom up.
MW will put it in CVS, so we can use it in all versions.

4.) Client hacks for windows and linux

I will do a fast patch so linux and dx client can show & play iso maps.

5.) writing a SDL client later
I wish to drop dx client (SDL use on windows directx) and the linux clients
to make ONE client as Iso standard.

This inflation of clients don't help CF, it binds dev power to double work.