[CF-Devel] Crossfire Scripting Extension, version 1.0.0b11

gros yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Thu Jun 14 14:41:50 CDT 2001

Le Mercredi 13 Juin 2001 21:16, vous avez écrit :

      On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, gros wrote:

      > That's not a real problem if there's no multithreading support. When

      > scripted object A gets its 'quantum time', its script gets executed if

     (...)

       Ok.  It is basically a stack depth of 127, which should be sufficient.

      But what does happen if it is reached?  does the last one just not execute?

     Yes, that's what happens (and you also receive a warning message on the
server console).

       I could see some error, or a situation where the like script A says

      something which script B hears and says something in return, which script

      A hears and says something in return, and at some point, one of the scripts

      says something that starts it all over again.

     That could happen, but because of script stack limit, an infinite loop would
be very difficult to be run that way. Infinite loops are difficult to
prevent; that's one of the reasons that made me put the stack limit on 128,
not higher. The other reason is of course memory requirement, although script
data tend to be small.
(short note: I fixed the maximal index of the stack to 128, giving a total of
129 stack levels, not 127 as I said before).

      > Now for the multithread problem: it is indeed true that following my own

      > tests, it does not seem to be needed. That's why I removed any references

      > to it from my CVS patch. I still don't know if I'll continue to work on

      > it or not.

     (...)

       This currently is a fairly low priority project - there are a lot of

      other things should be done first.  Threads don't help out much if the

      code handles some things poorly (like many spell effects).

     I definitely agree with you.

Chachkoff Y.