[CF List] Questions about CF 1.0.0

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Jun 20 23:38:33 CDT 2001

 To me, the problem is more that client and server may (and probably do) cross
language and country borders.

 So while that server in germany may be 'speaking' german, that may not be all
that useful for the players in france, belgium, sweden, and other nearby
countries that have different native languages.

 This is why IMO it is better for the client (and thus the server) to be able to
support all the languages at the same time.  So in the above case, if I'm in
france, I could play on that german server and say 'I want all the stuff in
french', and if I'm in sweden, I can say 'I want the language to be swedish'.

 The problem with this is keeping it up to date (ignoring the technical issue of
the server supporting multiple languages).

 IF someone creates a new object or map, it is unlikely that they will know all
the potential languages to be supported, so will only do it in one.  This then
means that other people have to do the localization (and in fact, probably many
more depending on how many languages are supported), and if the person doing the
French localiziation leaves, then that information will likely get out of date.

 One big question I have is: How important is localization?  Is this just one of
those wishlist things, or is this something that people see as being fairly
important for whatever reason?