[CF-Devel] cfclient bugs and server issues

Jochen Suckfuell jochen at suckfuell.net
Thu Mar 1 17:00:19 CST 2001

Hi!

Client issues:

I have started playing crossfire again after a year of abstinence. Since I'm
behind a firewall I use an ssh portforwarding to a public crossfire server.
Since I also have a local server running on the default port 13327, the
portforwarding is on 13328.
Unfortunately, the cfclient (from rpm, 0.96.0) simply ignores the -port option!
So I have to kill my local server if I want to play online and use the default
port for ssh. :(

The cfclient has another bug when I stand on a large pile of items. Then the
lower left window (which usually shows items on the ground or open containers)
shows an open container when there is none and I get an output like "the dust
of ignition is not a container". I have to open and close a container from my
inventory to reset this window then. On several occasions the client just dies
with segfault when stepping on a very large pile.

Now for some server issues:
(this is the server damn.informatik.uni-bremen.de which is running a current
CVS snapshot or at least version 0.96.0, iirc)

Problem: The golem following me to other maps - deadly experience.

I had an earth elemental push a button (in Kurte's hut) so that I can step into
the teleporter to the next map. The elemental appears beside me, heading my
way, and slays me on the spot (within an instant)!
But as if that wasn't enough, when I appear in my apartment after dying, so
does the elemental, and guess what! It kills me again! Then at last I manage to
invoke heal and the golem disappears, after me losing over 100 mio exp!

Solution: It would be a good thing to make all golems friendly towards the
caster (as has already been done with the avatar and holy servant). Or the
golems should appear in the new map without moving in any direction.

Problem: The server doesn't see when my connection dies.

I'm sharing an ISDN line with other people and it happens that someone cuts it
while I'm playing. Then my player is still standing where I left it and I can't
log in again for another 10 minutes until the server decides that I'm somehow
absent! Luckily I haven't died that way yet.
If I just kill my client, the server saves and removes my player correctly.

Problem: reproduceable server crashes

There are houses which crash the server when entering. I don't know if there
are random maps in them. Anyway this is a convenient way the get the maps reset.

Some teleporters which are triggered by some action often crash the server. It
happened each time when I put the chalice of fire into the water around Twis'
prison cell in the Butakis fortress prison. Other teleporters which are
triggered by saying something work sometimes.

Problem: altars of Devourer as decoration in random maps

When I try to reconsecrate them I get an error message like "you cannot
reconsecrate the altar of (null)".

I guess that's all I can remember now. :)
I like the race/class concept, and the partial protection system have made the
game more interesting. Before, I had a player that was immune to virtually
everything (except weaponmagic and chaos I guess). Now I have to use protection
spells and better tactics.

Bye
Jochen

--