[CF-Devel] xpm removal???

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Mar 2 03:33:03 CST 2001

Hmm we can't make EVERYONE happy. I run on a dual 450 G4 and I have no
problems with performance.. and I am quite happy to run on a .nl server
and I live in Australia (minimum ping time 350ms). The choice we have to
make is, are we going to support the old platforms or the new artists?

Certainly we could support the old systems but no respectable artist seems
to want to draw for us. I don't think anyone has a problem with leaving
the old stuff in.. if we can keep improving, but unfortunetly it seems we
cannot. If someone wants to support old architecture we welcome them to
start a new stream and keep the old xbms and xpms alive, if not I think I
am correct in saying.. sorry but its not possible.

To note you having troubles with GTk, I have noticed ALOT of people saying
this but I personally have NO troubles at all. Perhaps it is because I
have such huge lag times such issues barely count for much, regardless I
don't think the GTK is really bad at all. I like its neater interface and
on my G4 there is no question of performance. You tell me you have
problems on a 4 x 400??? well I can't even imagine that, either you system
is in correctly set up or it is VERY inefficient. When running a server
and gcfclient I barely get to 5% of on one processor.

Not only this, but I think crossfire is slowly going to get slower unless
you upgrade your system, we are continueally adding new and exciting
things (PR is a simple example). You don't expect Starcraft to work on a
Mac Plus, I wouldn't expect crossfire to work on one either. By nature,
games tend to use the most resources of a computer of anything (excluding
compiling and simulations (which are ALMOST games anyway ;)) so you have
to make some concessions.

Anyway if you want to, or anyone you know wants to improve the performance
of CF please do =).

dnh