[CF-Devel] Tileset server

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Tue Mar 13 03:08:29 CST 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:37:22PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Sebastien Bracquemont wrote:

      > A good thing i think is to have a "tile server" , separated from the game

      > server (in a logical way).

      > Clients could connect to the "tile server" to update their tilesets.

      > This server could be accessed by the artists to add their tiles.

       this has been discussed before, but still has these problems:

      1) If the tileserver is down, the game may very well be unplayable (need the

      images to play).

Default fallback support in the client, showing ? icons for newly added
tiles, that were not in the original faalback set.

      2) If there is one tile server per real server, thus just makes a more

      complicated setup (two programs to run/restart if images are added (as

      presumably, if image are added, new archs were added, which means the real

      server would need to get restarted also).  So in this case, nothing is really

      gained, except more complication.

I agree. But we need to have some way of requesting the fill of cache
beforastarting to play. It's pretty frustrating to enter an area, meet a
completely new monster, nicely represented by '?' tiles, and die before ever
seeing the monster.

This implies some changes to server. I don't know how the current system
works, but if the speed of server is related to connection speed of the
player with the worst round-trip-time, the tile serving has to be split up,
so one player requesting cache fill won't comatoze the server.

--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |